Murger Tomb

Murger Tomb
Henri Murger, Cimetiére de Montmartre, Eylül 2015

Friday, October 23, 2015

Trumpet Magicians




when I first listened Ibrahim Maalouf, it was my first work trip, in Ankara. me and my long-time no see high school friend were trying to arrange some time to see each other and then she said that they were going to Maalouf's concert and invited me. at the beginning, the idea of spending some good time with my old friend, her boyfriend, and their friends was more important than the concert itself for me. and It was more interesting for me that Ibrahim was a cousin of renowned Lebanese writer Amin Maalouf that I also admired his books. knowing nothing about what to find and waiting reluctanly, I was thinking probably I was going to be bored so much. on the other hand, the place was getting crowded so I was getting more excited minute by minute.

when the concert started finally, I even thought that the music was not really good but they are just making a show with a pop-like sound ! however, then, through the end of the concert, I realized that I had just discovered a music that I wouldn't get bored of listening even after all those months (now, it has been a year).  He was doing amazing virtuoso stuff and making the audience a part of the songs, playing interactively.. I didn't want that concert finish, ever. It was said that he was going to sign his CD after concert and I stayed in spite of that long queue and late hour. and gifted a CD signed to their names to my friends who waited me that long and made me know that fantastic musician (the cd was too expensive, by the way !).
listening memories what he told about his journey through the end of his hometown Beirut (the name of the piece that I also shared here) and what he found at the end, directly from him, made that concert even more important for me.. 
(now, I hope I will go to Beirut in February 2016, to see it for myself!) 
I also encouraged my friends to go to the Istanbul concert that was going to be held a few days later. I think nobody should miss his concert when he comes to Turkey again and everybody should know how he recreated the trumpet -that is usually attributed to Louis Armstrong- in his own unique way. 



I've heard Barış Demirel by mean of a friend who plays guitar with him in concerts but haven't listened for a long time. I was thinking "here there is another new experimental jazz musician". it is not because of new experimental jazz musicians are not good (they are good, luckily).. but, I don't know why, it took 1 year for me between first heard of his name and finally listen him. and I was pleased for not missing the joy of listening him by listening too early but I also felt sorry for my year passed without listening him. I've heard the same feelings & thoughts from a friend of mine who works as a bartender in a bar which Barış Demirel sometimes give concerts in. he said to Barış "dude, I didn't know that your music was that much beautiful, why didn't you said so, I would have listened before." after years of drinking and talking together before and after his concerts. And relieved by hearing the answer "dude, I don't talk about it that much, after all.". 
how much is Ibrahim Maalouf a pioneer musician in trumpet and jazz music for me, "barıştık mı" is as much as an exciting musician that I am proud that his music is echoing through Kadıköy sky. and seeing him making fantastic music as a worldwide renowned musician does makes me admire him more and I want him to be known more.

Ofcourse, everyone has its own taste of music.. but after listening once, if you more or less like this genre, I am sure that you will be addicted to these music. I salute these musicians who nourish my solo ankara and kadıköy nights once again in your presence ..

note: it is the translation of my "trompeti ağlatanlar" essay from june 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment